Graffolution – Awareness and Prevention Solutions against Graffiti Vandalism in Public Areas and Transport
Client: European Commission (2014-2016) | Area: Security Research
Main interest |
Initiated by the European Commission, the project “Graffolution – Awareness and Prevention Solutions against Graffiti Vandalism in Public Areas and Transport” focuses on graffiti and in this context graffiti vandalism in public areas, latest prevention strategies and measures to deal with the increasing number of graffiti vandalism as well as the potentials of graffiti for the urban sphere.
SINE is part of the consortium, consisting of University of the Arts London, University Barcelona, ETICAS/Barcelona, SYNYO/Vienna and integrated in all relevant work packages of the project.
The intention of the comparing survey between countries is to get a detailed overview over the topic by a multi-perspective Network Analysis of the various experiences, expertise and approaches of all stakeholders of the different fields concerned with graffiti (e.g. administration, police, social work, public transport as well as graffiti writers). In order to give other stakeholders on a European level the possibility to draw on these experiences and to provide a reciprocal exchange, a web-based platform has been developed and was launched in February 2016. By providing extensive information, analysis and cross-linking, the Graffolution platform intends to:
- Provide the possibility for all stakeholders concerned with graffiti to gather information, share experiences as well as discuss and develop innovative preventive approaches and measures.
- Strengthen the awareness of the public (incl. graffiti writers) concerning illegal graffiti and point out legal alternatives and possibilities for prevention.
Project results and further information were also disseminated on a specially created twitter account.
SINE coordinates the section of the project where the scientific basis for the whole project is laid. Among others, this includes the following aspects:
- Pan-European survey of the actual magnitude and the different categorizations of graffiti vandalism in the public sphere and transport.
- Survey of the different regional, cultural, ethical and legal frameworks as well as further influencing factors regarding graffiti.
- Identification of all relevant actors and their duties, experiences, procedures and networking strategies concerning graffiti.
- Analysis of the experiences, challenges and requirements of the central actors regarding their dealing with graffiti vandalism.
- Analysis of the existing prevention strategies.
All the insights of these surveys provide the basis for the development of solution strategies, measures and action plans regarding the prevention of and the dealing with (illegal) graffiti as well as the development of the Graffolution platform.
- Analysis of the relevant literature as well as the actual state of research.
- Guided interviews with all relevant stakeholders of the fields: public administration, police and law enforcement, public transport, social and cultural work, private enterprise companies as well as graffiti writers (in Germany and Austria).
- The analysis is associative and realized by MAXQDA
Further information as well as results of the project can be found on http://project.graffolution.eu
Responsible | Dr. Marion Müller, Prof. Dr. Patricia Pfeil, Dr. Kerstin Dressel, Sebastian Kleele M.A., Manuela Thiele, Daniel Hoday, Elisabeth Mayr, Cornelia Reiter, Franziska Börngen, Thomas Güte